Strategic Planning ~ May 9, 2019
Strategic Planning Committee Meeting
Courthouse East – Council Chambers
May 9, 2019 – 6:30 p.m.
Roll Call: Chairman Oliver Joseph, Vice Chairman Randy Clouatre,
Councilman Daniel Satterlee, Councilman Todd Lambert
Councilman John Cagnolatti
1) Call to order/Roll Call of Members
All members were present
2) Invocation/Pledge of Allegiance
Chairman Cagnolatti led the invocation and pledge
3) Chair’s Additions
Parish President Matassa requested an item be added to the agenda. President Matassa explained this amendment would give the privilege to the power company to turn the electricity back on without having to get a DHH permit in special circumstances. Councilman Cagnolatti made the motion to add the item with a second by Councilman Lambert, a roll call was conducted with 5 yeas the item was added.
4) Public Comment Period
Chairman Joseph announced that anyone who wished to speak on any item could sign up at this time. There were 0 public speakers.
5) Approval of April 11, 2019 Strategic Planning Minutes
A motion was made by Councilman Cagnolatti to approve the April 11, 2019 minutes with a second by Councilman Clouatre with no objections the motion passed.
6) Resolution – to support House Bill 422 to repeal State overreach into Local Control of Worker Protection Policies (Chairman Oliver Joseph)
Janea Jamison and Peter Robins-Brown with the Power Coalition for Equity and Justice presented a draft Resolution that supports House Bill 422.
House Bill 422 reads to enact R.S. 33:1376 and to repeal R.S. 23:642, relative to parishes and municipalities; to authorize parishes and municipalities to establish a mandatory minimum wage rate and a minimum number of leave days within their respective jurisdictions. After some discussion Chairman Joseph said, this item was just for
discussion and we will bring this back to see if this is something we want to move forward with.
7) Chair Addition – Proposed Ordinance – to amend the Ascension Parish Code of Ordinances, Chapter 6, Buildings and Building Regulations, Article IV, Plumbing Code, Division 2, Permits and Inspections, to add Section 6-209 Reinstatement of Electrical Service (Parish President, Kenny Matassa)
Councilman Lambert made a motion to add the new language to the existing ordinance with a second by Councilman Clouatre with no objections the motion passed.
Motion to adjourn was made by Councilman Clouatre and seconded by Councilman Satterlee.