Gwen LeBlanc, Chief Financial Officer
Our mission is to maintain a positive environment within the Finance Department, to empower our employees to be effective, efficient and accountable for their job responsibilities in order to ensure the citizens of Ascension Parish their public funds are maintained in strict compliance with General Accepted Accounting Principles.
The Finance Department operates under the direction of Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer Gwen LeBlanc in accordance with General Accepted Accounting Principles required by the Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB), the Louisiana Legislative Auditor, as well as all other applicable State and Federal Laws and the Ascension Parish Home Rule Charter.
The finance department is responsible for all financial accounting and reporting for the parish government, as well as Fire Districts #1, #2 and #3, East and West Ascension Drainage Districts, ACUD #1, State mandated expenses for the District Attorney, 23rd Judicial District Court, Parish Court, Sheriff, Clerk of Court, Assessor, Coroner, Justices of the Peace and Constables, Registrar of Voters and the Parish Prison.
The Finance Department has received the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for our Annual Financial Report by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada since 2008, the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting.
The Finance Department has received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for our Annual Budget Document by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada since 2012, the highest form of recognition in governmental budgeting.
Functions of the Finance Department:
- Maintain the Treasury of the Parish
- No money shall be paid out of the Parish Treasury, unless same has been previously approved by the Governing Authority of the Parish or a lawfully authorized Court, as mandated by the Home Rule Charter.
- General Ledger & Financial Reports
- Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable
- Payroll Processing & Reporting
- Prepare and manage the Budgets – Operating and Capital (in accordance with Louisiana Budget Act, Ascension Home Rule Charter)
- Maintain Investment Portfolio
- Debt Service/Bond Management
- Fixed Assets Program
- Grants Accounting and Reporting
- Utility Billing and Accounting
- Maintain a Fiscal Agent
- Prepare and provide for an Annual Audit
- Records Retention/Document Imaging
- Computer/Software Liaison
- Disaster Recovery Accounting for Federal/State/Local Disaster Declarations
- Process registration and title work for Parish owned vehicles and equipment
- File required Federal Reports
- Special Districts/Boards Financial reporting/monitoring